This one’s for all who adore morning workouts out there. I’ve recently learned the importance of fueling after a workout – it REALLY makes a difference! Everything from avoiding fatigue/hunger throughout the day, building muscle, and being ready for the next workout, it’s all about that fueling. Here are some of my favorite breakfasts after my morning sweats that help restore your body for the day.
Oatmeal has got to be on my list of dessert island foods. As in, if I were stranded on a dessert island, what would I want to eat for the rest of my life? Last year I was a HUGE fan of cold overnight oats (I’m talking having it for breakfast every day for 6 months…), but now that I have my own crib, I take more time in the morning to sit down and enjoy a nice hot bowl of oatmeal, (sometimes sharing with Mindy Kaling 🙂 )
My favorite oatmeal ingredients:
Oats: I always use 1-minute oats, quick and easy
- coconut milk (for extra flavor)
- almond milk (for extra flavor)
- soy milk (for extra protein)
- scoop of chocolate protein powder
- 1 spoonful of peanut butter
- chia seeds
- flax seeds
- dried cranberries
- coconut shavings
- sprinkle of cinnamon
I have been OBSESSED with smoothies lately. Breakfast, snack, dessert…I aim to make one everyday to help sneak in my veggies, protein, and solid helping of nutrients! My oh-so generous brother bought me a Ninja blender for my past birthday, and it changed my life.
Follow these steps!
- Choose 1 leafy greens
- kale and spinach are my favorites
- Blend with a liquid
- I go with coconut or soy milk, but you could also do a fruit juice is that’s your thing. Mix with the leafy greens first to reduce the greens and make more room for other ingredients. Don’t go overboard with the liquid – you only need a splash!
- Add in a banana
- It adds texture and sweetness. I consider it as a must.
- Add 2-3 extra fruits/vegetables (frozen is easiest)
- My favorites: cucumber, peaches, avocados, strawberries, blueberries, raspberries, mangoes, apples, pears
- My secret: add a block of tofu
- This may not be for everyone, but I LOVE LOVE tofu in my smoothies. It’s a great way to sneak in protein, and I love the smooth, creamy texture and hint of soy taste the tofu gives!
- Blend blend blend!
(kale, coconut milk, banana, half an avocado, half a cucumber, frozen peaches)
(almond milk, tofu, banana, frozen strawberries, frozen blueberries, frozen raspberries)
My last go-to breakfast isn’t that novel. But I am a huge egg-lover and will never get sick of a good plate of scrambled eggs, especially after a workout!
In this dish, I fished out some mock duck from my leftover seamlessed pad thai and added it in for some extra umph.
My go-to egg toppings: roasted red pepper hummus and guacamole 🙂